When I started planning my ‘New Year’ posts, this honestly wasn’t one I was considering.
In the past two years, I’ve really stopped pre-ordering just because of money reasons, and new books [especially American releases] are EXPENSIVE. If I do buy new releases, they’re generally UK releases, and even then the only author I avidly follow and anticipate new releases of is Alice Oseman.
Really, Alice is the one who made me realise I actually am excited for a couple of things coming out in 2019. Once I’m paid at Christmas I’ll pre-order these, so I thought I would let everyone know what I’m so excited for I’m actually bothering to pre-order/research into them!
- Heartstopper by Alice Oseman: this is Alice’s webcomic that she’s turned the first two parts of into a graphic novel! Very very very excited, as I didn’t get to purchase a copy in her Kickstarter campaign as I have no money :] #brokeunistudentlife
- King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo: I managed to get a hold of the first three chapters of this at #YALC earlier this year, and ohhh my god guys it’s going to be amazing! My girl Nina is back ❤
- The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman: small town creepy shit happening? SIGN ME UP. I’m a big South Park/Night in the Woods fan, and this book description gives me major vibes similar to both. I spend most of my time looking for novels that will make me feel like Night in the Woods does, and I think this might be it!
- The Hazel Wood Book 2 by Melissa Albert: this is currently unnamed, but ahhhh! I loved the first book, and I cannot wait for this sequel.
- Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid: no, I haven’t read Seven Husbands. Yes, I’m probably going to end up reading her new release before Seven Husbands. I’m on a real band/musician kick at the moment, and this sounds sooooo good!
- Teen Titans: Raven by Kami Garcia: This is Teen Titans, about Raven, and also this is illustrated by Gabriel Picolo. What part of that doesn’t sound amazing?
- Into the Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo: gangsters, dark magic and mad found family vibes. YES PLEASE.
- The Truth About Keeping Secrets by Savannah Brown: this sounds so dope, AND I love Savannah so I’m buzzing for this!
- The Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie: the queen of UKYA chats releasing her own UKYA novel at 18/19 years old? Amazing!
- Bloom by Kevin Panetta: this looks like an adorable graphic novel about baking and boys falling in love and I’m VIBING with that!
- Earth to Charlie by Justin Olson: hell yes alien abduction and family drama! The mention of him having a 600 pound neighbour is raising some red flags for me, but I’ll track reviews to see if it’s fatphobic once arcs are released!
- Belly Up by Eva Darrows: teenage pregnancy is something still not talked about enough in YA, so I’m really looking forward to giving this a go.
- The Last 8 by Laura Pohl: lowkey exposing myself as a dystopian/alien invasion fanatic here but o well, I can’t wait! I remember seeing a booktuber haul this and just immediately falling in love with the synopsis and cover.
And that’s all of them! There are some other 2018 releases I’m considering, but if I read any new releases, this will be them!
Thank you for reading, happy holidays!